Ready to Lose Your Glasses? Ten pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest progressing fields of medication. Never before have numerous scientific developments and brand-new methods emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, uses countless individuals the chance to reduce or eliminate their need for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the painless and fast method to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Before you decide to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist guarantee that you will enjoy with your results?
The key to safe surgery in any field of medication is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting recommendations from other medical professionals or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be tricked by expensive ads about a specific laser center. Pick the physician, not the laser. Discover who will actually do your treatment, then ask about that doctor's credentials (e.g., board accreditation, special training).
3. Pick a physician who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. Exactly what a doctor doesn't understand can harm you.
Ask for index information on your physician's LASIK eye surgical treatment problem rates. If your medical professional will not tell you, find another one.
5. Ask what measures are required to avoid infection. Search for a center with a dust-free or sterilized operating space. Ensure that non reusable parts are not reused. Firmly insist that your eye is thoroughly sanitized, and insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated before your eye laser surgery to remove the risk of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Beware of advertisements pressing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgery is as great as a discount rate parachute. The potential savings are not worth the threat of receiving less than professional care!
7. Expect to see extremely well after LASIK, however don't expect to see completely. Each patient gets a somewhat different result. The best cosmetic surgeon worldwide can't guarantee 20/20 vision. Just like any eye laser surgery, results are as individual as each client. Beware of any physician who assures 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. Go in other places. You're not purchasing a vehicle; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely use much better vision than LASIK. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, don't forget the advantages: for many people, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has improved the vision of countless people all over the world.